This bracket, more than any of our other yearly tournaments has completely baffled me at every turn. We have had a few Cinderella stories that have stayed in much longer than I thought and some real blue bloods fall much earlier than most of us expected. Our Sweet 16 seemed like it was set up to go through without much of a surprise but, my God y’all. There was one game that absolutely blew my mind. More on that in a bit.
The Regional Finals begin now and voting will end Wednesday, March 30 at 5pm Central. Our Final 4 and regional winners will be announced Thursday and the start of the ultimate battle of Disney supremacy begins. Good luck with making up your mind on some of these.
But first — Let’s get on to the results! Remember all “scores” are percentages from voting.
(1) “When You Wish Upon a Star” (Pinocchio) vs (4) “Can You Feel the Love Tonight” (The Lion King)
Our 1 seed is in that spot because it’s one of the originals. It built a lot of what our other songs stood on. This matchup pitted two of the most lovely that the Mouse has ever thrown out there. In the end, the 4 seed “Can You Feel the Love Tonight” takes down “When You Wish Upon a Star” by a final of 83-17.
(2) “Be Our Guest” (Beauty and the Beast) vs (11) “You’re Welcome” (Moana)
In our second straight upset of the Mickey Region, a surprisingly strong 11 seed in Dwayne Johnson’s “You’re Welcome” took out the 2 seed “Be Our Guest” 61-39. 100% did not see this one coming if we are being honest.
The Mickey Region comes down to a 4 and an 11. Just like we all drew it up.
(2) “Circle of Life” (The Lion King) vs (11) “A Girl Worth Fighting For” (Mulan)
11 seed “A Girl Worth Fighting For” put up a great run that came to an end at the hands of a behemoth. The 2 seed “Circle of Life” put a beatdown on the Mulan anthem 85-15.
(5) “Friend Like Me” (Aladdin) vs (9) “A Spoonful of Sugar” (Mary Poppins)
A similar fate was met by our other Cinderella seed in the Minnie Region. 9 seed “A Spoonful of Sugar” falls to 5 seed “Friend Like Me” by a final of 82-18.
After two huge blowouts, our Minnie Region is a matchup of two 90’s classics as “Circle of Life” and “Friend Like Me” face off.
(2) “Part of Your World” (The Little Mermaid) vs (3) “Hakuna Matata” (The Lion King)
This was one of the most difficult picks for me all tournament long. Just two damn dear perfect songs. Y’all did not seem to have that hard of a time with it. At the end of voting our 3 seed “Hakuna Matata” moves on to the regional final, taking down our 2 seed “Part of Your World” by a final of 73-27.
(4) “You’ve Got a Friend in Me” (Toy Story) vs (8) “Bibbidi Bobbidi Boo” (Cinderella)
Our Cinderella seed from Cinderella finally met their match. The 8 seed “Bibbidi Bobbidi Boo” bows out, falling in dramatic fashion to 4 seed “You’ve Got a Friend in Me” 87-13.
The Donald Region was the hardest to pick for most of us I think, but it ends up with the 3 and 4 seed getting to the regional final.
(1) “A Whole New World” (Aladdin) vs (12) “You’ll Be in My Heart” (Tarzan)
Here it is. Y’all have gone wild with this one. The 12 seed “You’ll Be in My Heart” has taken out some big guns along the way but I didn’t really see them being able to knock off 1 seed “A Whole New World”. You guys never cease to find a new way to shock me. Our last remaining 1 seed goes out on the back of a 51-49 victory by the most well known song from Tarzan. Un-freaking-believable. This song is basically the St. Peter’s of our tournament.
(7) “Kiss the Girl” (The Little Mermaid) vs (11) “Colors of the Wind” (Pocahontas)
Our other Cinderella seed in the Goofy region just ran out of steam. 11 seed “Colors of the Wind” fell to 7 seed “Kiss the Girl” by a final of 79-21.
The Goofy Region was always the goofiest of all and we end up with a 7 and 12 seed in the final.
We end up at our Elite 8 with quite a few surprises along the way that puts us with three songs from The Lion King, almost half of our final 8. I don’t know if putting all the songs from the same movie in different brackets was the right call but it was definitely interesting. It could have been cool to see these go up against each other but we’ll never know!
That leaves us with our bracket looking like this:
(4) “Can You Feel the Love Tonight” (The Lion King) vs (11) “You’re Welcome” (Moana)
(2) “Circle of Life” (The Lion King) vs (5) “Friend Like Me” (Aladdin)
(3) “Hakuna Matata” (The Lion King) vs (4) “You’ve Got a Friend in Me” (Toy Story)
(7) “Kiss the Girl” (The Little Mermaid) vs (12) “You’ll Be in My Heart” (Tarzan)
I can’t believe we are already at our regional finals. These brackets always go by so fast! Polls are open and will close on Wednesday, March 30 at 5pm Central.
Let’s get to voting and see who wins each region! See you guys on Thursday with our Final 4!