It’s been almost a full year since I’ve written anything. Shocking. We are back for our 5th year doing these brackets. Our bracket last year found of favorite TV theme song which was won in a rout by The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. There was never really any doubt. This joins our third year winner for favorite breakfast food: Breakfast Tacos and Burritos. Our second year bracket crowned The Sandlot as our champions of the Best Sports Movie Bracket. Our first champion was in the music bracket where The Beatles reigned victorious. It’s my pleasure to announce our topic this year: Fast Food.
We are all cooped up thanks to the Coronavirus and going a little stir-crazy. Hopefully this bracket can be a little bit of a mental respite in these times. I landed on fast food because I feel like most of us are under quarantine and ordering a ton of food to support the workers in the restaurants around us so it’s fresh on everyone’s mind. Now, there is no way to objectively rank fast food joints so this year’s ranks are almost completely done by taking the biggest franchise first and then it’s all biased picks from there to number 16. Like previous years, “scores” will be posted as the percentages from the polls.
I’ll set up polls in each round. To keep from completely swamping everyone’s Facebook and Twitter timelines, I’ll post the polls here and put a link up at the start of each new round on my Facebook and Twitter accounts. *Shameless plug* Give me a follow!
I’m going to be honest with y’all, this was the hardest bracket so far to get up to 64 spots. This becomes obvious pretty quickly when you see we have a Miscellaneous Region and I really, REALLY stretched the meaning of the word in the Sandwich Region (yes, for our purposes a hot dog is a sandwich). Usually I’m cutting candidates for the bracket in the double digits at the end and we have to have play in games just to get down to 64. Not this year, friends! We are jumping straight in!
With that said our bracket is set. I am sure people will have issues with the seeding, and weirdly this year which region some fast food joints landed in, but that is to be expected. The first round of voting will start Monday March 30 and voting will close Wednesday April 1 at 5pm. The second round will begin on Thursday, April 2. New rounds will begin on Mondays and Thursdays. Let’s get to voting! Polls are under the bracket.
(8) Fuddruckers vs (9) Steak N Shake
(5) Jack in the Box vs (12) Shake Shack
(4) Wendy’s vs (13) Carl’s Jr
(6) Five Guys vs (11) White Castle
(3) In-N-Out vs (14) Checkers
(7) Burger King vs (10) Smashburger
(2) Whataburger vs (15) Hardees
(8) Schlotzsky’s vs (9) Panera Bread
(5) Quiznos vs (12) Blimpie
(4) McAlister’s Deli vs (13) Jersey Mike’s
(6) Which Wich? vs (11) Corner Bakery Café
(3) Jason’s Deli vs (14) Einstein Bros.
(7) Jimmy John’s vs (10) Potbelly
(2) Firehouse Subs vs (15) Weinerschnitzel
(8) Hooters vs (9) Buffalo Wild Wings
(5) KFC vs (12) Bojangles
(4) Raising Cane’s vs (13) El Pollo Loco
(6) Wingstop vs (11) Wings To Go
(3) Church’s vs (14) Slim Chickens
(7) Zaxby’s vs (10) Pluckers
(2) Popeyes vs (15) PDQ
(8) Pizza Hut vs (9) Domino’s
(5) Taco Cabana vs (12) Panda Express
(4) Taco Bell vs (13) Arby’s
(6) Sonic vs (11) Freebirds
(3) Starbucks vs (14) Little Caesars
(7) Papa John’s vs (10) Dunkin’ Donuts
(2) Chipotle vs (15) Culver’s
Welp, there it is y’all! I have a lot to say about these match-ups and how the seeding set up some fantastic showdowns, but I don’t want to push the vote one way or another. Let’s get to voting and see who gets into the Round of 32!